Monday, January 13, 2014

From DC (Actually Germantown)

Elder Braden Dahl - Missionary
Washington D.C. North Mission - Germantown-1st Area
So I'm in DC and I'm loving it. The first day we were here it was just bitter cold and I had my layers on. But since then its been warming up and fairly good; yesterday I just wore my regular suit and was fine. I'm in a car area, so my companion drives us around everywhere. I have my bike mostly put together and it is right now in the apartment we are in. I was told by the other missionaries that my bike is very nice and looks expensive, so thank you for the very nice bike.
The area I'm serving in is one of the largest areas in the mission. I'm by the top left corner of my mission. Elder Anderson and I spend most of our time in Germantown. But we cover several other cities as well. Luckily the DC North mission is one of the smallest missions geographically so, it's not too bad. Plus I've heard there are no Spanish Elders in the  farther southern areas of the mission because the lack of Spanish speakers.

On my way to DC I woke up at 1 am, finished my quick things to pack up, cleaned the room, and got ready. We had to be at the bus by 2 am and check in our keys and then we left at 2:30 am. They gave us a small sack breakfast for when we got to the airport. The airport was confusing and chaotic, but they had a CCM worker help us get through. We got through and then talked to some people and I managed to give out a pass along card. We flew to Dallas. Had to go through customs, get our luggage, recheck our luggage, go through TSA and then go to our gate. By the time we got through all of that (and our flight landed on time) we had 15 minutes until boarding, and we hadn't eaten yet. So there wasn't even time to call at the airport. 

I made it to Reagan Airport safe, my companion and I were the first to arrive of the total of 8 Elders and 5 Sisters. We got our luggage, but they bent one of the wheels on my large luggage. (I think-I really haven't had the time to examine it.) So it's a little wobbly now and only three wheels touch at any point.
January 2014 Washington DC North Mission Arrivals - 8 Elders and 5 Sisters

It was so cold they didn't take us on the Metro, because it breaks down a lot in the bitter cold. I rode in a truck with one of the APs who left the field the following day with another Elder. The Sisters rode with the Cooke's and the other Elders road in a silver flex fuel Ford E-350 van. (hmm...sound familiar?) 

At the mission home we all got a quick interview from President Cooke. We were briefed on heat and the cars. We met the Senior couples and the couple in charge of the Visitor Center: Elder and Sister Eyring (yes, he's the brother of President [Henry B.] Eyring).
We had a nice dinner, had a testimony meeting and sang the mission song (it's pretty cool, I have no idea how I can get that to you.)

Braden bearing his testimony in their testimony meeting
The mission home is in a very affluent area and is very nice. Lots of paintings and nutcrackers. That night the power went out for a minute so we woke up 5 minutes late and then it was fine except the power went out again from roughly 6:40am to 8:30ish with the exception of a short 3 minute relief of power. It was fine and we made do. I helped make breakfast with what we had available. 
Love to see the guys roll up their sleeves and cook! Elders Melander, Collins & Dahl
We went to the visitor center the next day
President Cooke, Elder Braden Dahl and Sister Cooke with the Washington DC Temple in the background
and met our trainers, got our packages, said goodbye to the people leaving.
Elder Anderson embracing Elder Braden Dahl as his new trainee
The temple was closed but I had the opportunity to walk around it and see how it looked. It is a beautiful temple. And yes, I touched the temple. Then after that it was go the apartment and get to work.
Washington D.C. Temple in Kensington, MD Taken 1/8/2014 by Elder Braden Dahl
P days are on Monday. My sheets are nice and comfortable and I'm plenty warm. I am only allowed to email 30 min on P Day.

I don't know my apartment address yet. But ALL mail and packages must be sent to the mission office with my full name Elder Braden Dahl 11700 Falls Rd, Potomac, MD. They then forward everything to the apartments. FedEx, UPS, etc packages will be held at the mission office until Transfers (every 6 weeks), but USPS packages can be forwarded (although I've heard mixed opinions on whether this actually happens or not. 

Elder Braden Dahl
Glossary of Terms (by Stacie Dahl (Mom)):
Preparation Day - Preparation day (or P Day as it is often referred to) is a missionary’s once a week chance to do big shopping trips, play sports, do laundry and write letters home to family and friends.

1 comment:

  1. YES another DC North mission blog to stalk! I love other missionaries blogs as it helps me gather more details as to what my dd is up to. My dd is in the Seneca Ward which meets in Germantown. So they most likely are serving in the same zone. Your welcome to email me at bascombunch@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete