Friday, May 9, 2014

New Shoes 5-5-2014

5/5/2014
Mom,
I added you as a Skype contact and we can use our iPads for Skype since no one has told us otherwise. We are allowed to call or Skype home for 1 hour. So I probably will use the iPad to Skype you. It will be wherever my companion and I have Wi-Fi. Maybe the church, a member's home, our leasing center. We haven't decided where yet.  Only using California aka Pacific (Daylight) Time. I am planning on calling you at 5pm your time. I hope that works and make sure everyone is ready. My ward is from 8am-11am and we usually make it out of the building by 11:30am.

Zone Conference was on Wednesday and it was really good. All the messages were great and it helped us all refocus in on missionary work. All the Elders also learned how to properly shave with a variety of materials. We also learned how to get the "soft as a baby's butt shave" by one of the Senior Missionaries who was a professional barber and later a Yale professor. It was really interesting and he shaved President Cooke as the example a little with a straight razor just to show off but mostly with his six blade professional razor he had. Let me say he wasn't joking with the soft as a baby's butt that was a ridiculously close shave. You wouldn't know that President had facial hair ever in his life and didn't shave for 2 days. It is a long process that takes 10 minutes if your good and know what your doing. (The missionaries that have completely adopted the shaving process say it takes them closer to 30 minutes). I'm not doing exactly what he did because of time restraint but I've adopted a lot of his techniques and my shave is significantly closer, just not quite the "baby's butt."

This week has been really good. Last Monday my roommate (J) and I went ice skating for P-day for about an hour and forty minutes. It was fun and I learned to skate again so I could move around the rink. It was a fun activity and I enjoyed it. We also drove around Seneca State Park. It was very pretty and today we are going there again for the zone activity for games and a barbecue. My companion and I were able to meet with our investigator with a baptismal date a lot this week. The one is still going and will hopefully be baptized this month as planned. The other progressing investigator we have is doing phenomenal. Our first lesson with just him he said that he decided to read the Book of Mormon but wasn't too far in it. He only started from the title page and got to 2nd Nephi. Needless to say, my companion and I were shocked how far he had read. He already has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and he his going great. He works a lot so we can't visit very often but we are planning to give a baptismal date this week.

Make sure to give my two oldest brothers my congratulations on their amazing accomplishments. Tell my youngest brother that I hope he is feeling better. There were a lot of people sick this week in my area and even more people with bad allergies. I hope you have a great week and that everyone does well.

P.S. I hope you had fun looking at all the photos I took from my SD card package and understood all the little descriptions.

Mom,
So on Saturday a Hermano called us and wanted to meet up with us because he had already spoken to my companion about buying him some new shoes for when his parents come to pick him up. We met up with him and then went to DSW where my companion was looking for some shoes. Then he came up to me and said which ones do you like? I tried to brush it off saying I was fine. However, he later again came up to me and he insisted. All the shoes were nice but I decided I'd look in the lower price range because I'm not leaving soon and I have 2 functioning pairs of shoes.


I found two modest shoe options I liked the style of, a Rockport Brand and a Nunn Bush-recommended by my companion. I tried them both on and the Nunn Bush were super comfortable and I think that was the first time in my life I had nothing to complain about in a shoe (you know my pickiness). The Rockports were alright but I didn't quite like the fit, they were tight on both sides. Plus the Nunn Bushes cost less than the Rockports.

So this Hermano bought me the Kore by Nunn Bush. They are a dress shoe but are lightweight, slip resistant, designed for walking, and very comfortable. They have a nice sole with a good tread but they do have a gel pouch on the inside sole, I'll probably wear it for a while then change it out before the inside sole wears down and then the gel pops. Then this Hermano took us out to ice cream at Cold Stone. This Hermano is such an awesome guy.

Dad,
I'm glad to hear that you had a great Stake Conference. I'm also happy to hear that the ward is doing well in the hastening of the work. I hope you had fun taking all your photos, just remember not to overwork yourself on them.

I also emailed Mom that I am planning on calling you 5pm your time (8pm my time). We will be able to talk for 1 hour. I already am Skype friends with Mom for the upstairs computer. If you need it for another computer just add my user to your contacts and send me a message. I can check my email and Facebook all week if you need to give me any updates.

Today was zone activity and we went to Seneca State Park and played capture the flag for a while which was really fun. We then ate burgers and chips for lunch. Afterwards we hung out and I was in a group where we played the game Scum. It's very similar to the Great Dalmuti where you are trying to get rid of all of your cards; the lowest players have to give their best cards to the highest players. The only main difference is that there is an equal amount of high and low cards and the higher numbers have the higher values. It was a fun day to hang out with the zone and play some games and have a barbecue.

This coming week is all the end of the transfer things. It is crazy too see how fast the transfers fly by here. This Wednesday we have the temple trip. I'm really looking forward to being able to go to the temple again. I believe my companion has his departing dinner this Friday, so I'll hang out with another companionship. Saturday we find out if we are staying or leaving our areas (don't worry there is an overwhelming amount of odds that I will stay in Germantown for this next transfer it's a 99.99% chance). The following Tuesday is when we find out the new companionships are announced, so there is still some time before you find out who I'll be with. This week has been really good and I've been loving it out here. I hope you have a great week.

Brother #2,
I hope you have been doing well. I heard you are doing fantastic in school! That is so great; keep up all that hard work. You may not realize it now, but all those good grades, completed assignments, and hard work will really pay off. It will really help you get into a good college that will help you earn more money for a job you like and on top of that you could get a scholarship where they give you money for being smart and working hard in school. I'm super proud of you that you graduated from your IEP. Keep up the great work. I can't wait to talk to you on Sunday.

Brother #3,
I hope you have been doing well. I hope you are doing well in school, keep working hard even though the school year is getting close to being done. I hope you do well on your States and Capitals test and keep studying for it. I can't wait to talk to you on Sunday.

Brother #4,
I hope you are feeling better and doing well. It's certainly no fun being sick. I heard you got a couple new fish and a frog. I hope you are enjoying all your new pets. I heard you want some more pets though. It's always fun having some pets but they are a big responsibility. I also heard that you liked the photos of the bird on my shoulder. Did you know that I ate all of my lunch with that bird on my shoulder? I had that bird on me for almost half an hour. The little bird kept peeping and talking into my ear. It was fun and sometimes you could make out a word that the bird was saying. I can't wait to talk to you on Sunday.

Love,

Elder Braden Dahl 

No comments:

Post a Comment