Monday, February 24, 2014

Visiting the Nation's Capital Today 02-24-2014


Dad,
I'm glad to hear that you’re still having fun even when you’re busy. I'm glad to hear even though Tour was a little stressful and very tiring that you still had fun. It was fun to see some of the pictures you took and I'm glad it was a good experience. I'm sorry to hear about Ann and I hope that the Gorman's are doing all right.

This week has been good. The snow is melting really fast and there is very little left. It has been super hot here; it even got up to 61. Yes 61 [degrees] is really hot here for me. We had our transfer meeting on Wednesday and we have 2 new missionaries in our district one Elder and one Sister.

This week has been good. We met with a lot of our less-actives this week and we are having great progress with them. We are going to have a training on family history and how to help people do it this coming Tuesday. Things are going great and we're trying hard.

Today we went to DC and visit the Capitol and saw the Library of Congress and the botanical gardens as well. I'm excited to go see more of the sights. I must forewarn you, if you ever think about going to the national mall, be prepared for a lot of walking. It's about a 2-mile walk end to end (not including coming back).
[Above: Elder Braden Dahl in front of the Capital]


[Above: Some photos of the Orchid Collection currently on display at the Washington DC Botanical Gardens-Photos courtesy of http://www.gardens.si.edu]



Things have been going well and I'm happy to be here.

Love,
Elder Braden Dahl

Mom,
I'm so glad to hear all the fun stuff you did during choir tour. I'm sure everyone loved it. I'm glad you all had a blast and had a good fun time. I hope it wasn't too stressful or painful during your stay. The trick to walking is: at night sit on the edge of the bed and get some frozen water bottles and ice.

The package was awesome. I was shocked to see how much effort you put in it. The chocolate is super good and I love the Kit-Kat, the Lindor chocolate was amazing and Dove Chocolate.

My companion loves dark chocolate and I gave him some of the Dove Dark Chocolate and he appreciates it. I loved the cards you all sent me and the one in Spanish. I loved the ties and have worn both of them. The whole package was just amazing and I loved it all. Thank you very much. It was a great gift.

 The mission has been going well. We've seen a lot of progress with our less-active members. We are also gaining some ground with our investigators. Today we went to DC for our second time. My companion and I went to the Capitol and didn't have time to go on the tour but walked around the front a bit. We then went to the Library of Congress and saw their exhibits and it was cool to be there. You aren't allowed in the grand reading room for just walking around. We also went to the botanical gardens and saw the cool plants from around the world. . They had a special focus on orchids there this time. We went to the Museum of Natural History again and did some of the second floor and saw the Hope Diamond. I'm super excited and cant wait to see more of the sights.
 


    [Above: Braden with the Hope Diamond on 2/24/2014]
Love,
Elder Braden Dahl

Matthew,
I'm so glad to hear that Footloose is going well. I know it seems like nothing is coming together. But it usually won’t come together until the last second. Everyone starts to realize that and freak out then kick it into high gear. I'm sure you will have a great show and I can't wait to hear all about it. You really are one of the leaders in Musical Theater because you are so knowledgeable about music, can hold a part, and have a great voice.

I'm sorry to hear there has been so many problems and drama this year in Musical Theater. Unfortunately, there is always a lot of drama in theater. There never seems to be a way to avoid it. Just try your best to avoid it and not participate in it. As for the thefts, I'm sorry to hear about that. I hope that they don't continue and just be careful with what you carry around. Hopefully, you won’t have any problems.

I'm doing well. On Friday we helped the English Elders move one of their members out, one of my roommates and I helped set up the Blue and Gold Dinner for the English Ward. We also had a tornado watch (not a warning), so we all had to go to a chapel and find a place away from the windows just in case. There was nothing serious, it was a little rainy (not even pouring) and little wind, just enough to move the storm slowly past us. My companion and my other roommate had to go to a leadership training so I was with Elder S (roommate) most of that day. I spent my time transferring some of our paper records to electronic ones. The tornado watch passed in the afternoon and our companions met back up with us. That night our District put on a move night for members, investigators and friends. We watched “17 Miracles” and it was a great night. We moved the couches and chairs out from the hallways and then brought in the padded Relief Society's chairs to make it more comfortable. We had some snacks-cookies, chips, popcorn, soda, etc. and it was just great.

I hope you have had a good week and that school is going well. Hopefully you’re not too busy but rather, working hard and keeping up the good work. I know you are great and can do a lot of great things. One thing I would start considering is preparing for a Patriarchal Blessing. You don't have to get it now or even next year. I got mine when I was 17-½. Nevertheless, it's a good thing to start thinking about. I would just keep the thought of receiving one in your mind, think specifically when you might want to receive it and pray to Heavenly Father if that is when He wants you to have it. It doesn't have to be soon and you don't have to think that you need to get one tomorrow; you can think and feel that it needs to be right before your mission. What is important is that you receive this blessing when you are ready and when the Lord wants you to have this blessing. It is
also important to prepare for this blessing by remaining worthy. I would encourage you if you wish to receive a Patriarchal Blessing to read the "Patriarchal Blessing" section in the book “True to the Faith.” The book has a great explanation of what it is and how we should use it throughout our life. I know that my blessing has greatly helped me in my life. When the time is right, I know it will greatly help you and guide you throughout your life.

Love,
Elder Braden Dahl

No comments:

Post a Comment