Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 10th-Happy Valentine's Day


February 10, 2014
To my two youngest brothers,
I recently started watching the Bible videos on the gospel library app and I am done with all of them. I do know that the gospel library app is missing a few, but the others are available online and probably on the Bible video app. You guys should check them out. They are very well done and are really cool to watch.

If you want you could also watch some Mormon Messages as well. I have watched a lot of the Mormon Messages and they are great! Some of them are funny, some are serious, some are happy, and some are a little sad. But those are also great to watch and have great messages. The best thing about the Mormon Messages and Bible Videos are they are always coming out with new ones. Since I have been in Washington, DC there have been several new Mormon Messages and new Bible Videos.

My mission has been really fun. I have been working hard and have been able to do a lot of fun things as well. It is really cool that I get to use an iPad mini in my mission, but we aren't allowed to have any games on it. We also have a cell phone, but it is not an iPhone. It is just a regular phone that can call and text.

I hope you guys have a really good Valentine's Day; just don't kiss too many girls. I hope you both are doing well and I hope you are doing well in school and having fun at school. Work hard and help Mom out. Make sure you both are getting your homework and projects done without Mom having to twist your arms too hard.

I heard you are going to do a lot of fun stuff this year and I can't wait to hear all about it.

Love,
Elder Braden Dahl

Dear Oldest Brother,

I hope that you have been doing well these last few weeks. I heard that “The Emperor's New Clothes” has gone really well. I am sure you had fun doing it. I hope that Footloose is also going well, and that practice is moving along and that you are having fun with practice.

It seems like you have been having lots of fun while staying busy. And I have heard that you have a lot more fun things in store this year. Keep doing well in school and enjoying all your classes. Hopefully Mr. O'Hair isn't too hard on you. Work hard in Spanish class.  It is very useful to speak and many countries speak Spanish. Plus, it could come in handy in the next few years.

The ward I attend is really great. It is one of the largest and most functioning Spanish wards (still it is only about one third the size of Roseville Second). Our entire District goes to this ward and there are two members from their ward doing a service mission so there are ten missionaries in all. Everyone is from all around the world. The Elder's Quorum is pretty small, but the ward is great and doing great. In the building we meet in we have an English Ward, a Spanish Ward, a Young Single Adult Ward, and a French Group (not a branch, but a group that is smaller than a branch). The Zone leaders are in our ward, and the Assistants to the President are in the YSA Ward, so sometimes we see them. Fun fact: One of my roommates is from Auburn. Also there is an Elder here, I have only met once, from Rocklin.

My trainer is a great companion. He is the District Leader for our District. We are about the same height. He likes to sing and knows some of the show-tunes. He knows the area really well and is loved by the people. His Dad is from Utah and served in Mexico for his mission and his Mom is from Mexico, so he speaks excellent Spanish, plus he leaves in May so he only has two more transfers after this one. He is super nice and a great missionary.

If you haven't already, you should read this month's New Era. I have read parts of it and it is really good. I enjoyed reading “28 Ways to Spread Sunshine. It is a very nice article about staying happy and making others happy. There are a ton of great articles in the magazine. There are a lot about dating in this edition of the magazine. I recommend reading them all, but the article "Not Dating? You're Not Alone" was probably my favorite out of the ones I have read so far. It is very applicable to many people out there and was really insightful.

Love,
Elder Braden Dahl

P.S. A few tips for that class that the teachers don't normally say to help with pronunciation . . . the letter "b" and "v" make the exact same sound.  Its sound is kind of in between the two sounds. Also, the "d" sound is not in your throat like it is in English, it's at the tip of your mouth in Spanish by flicking your tongue off of your teeth; it's almost a "th" sound.

Dear Mom,

It sounds like you are all doing well and I'm glad to hear it. I'm sure you will all have a great time this coming weekend. At Disneyland just let your sister guide you and you'll see/go on just about everything. Also at Cars Land go to the cozy cone food snack place and get what my oldest cousin calls the "purple flurp" (ask your sister). It's super good.

I'm glad to hear it has started to rain in California again. I'm glad to hear that the prayers for rain were heard. 

I'm also glad you are getting the pictures from the member in my ward and I hope you'll get the ones he took last night of us eating with them.
Haciendo tamales con Hermana Olga Rodriguez - Making tamales with Sister Olga Rodriguez.
Saturday they made them; Sunday they ate them. 

This Wednesday we are going to the temple as our temple day this transfer. I am super excited to go and can't wait to see what is inside the DC temple. They just replaced most of the portraits in the temple and our apartment was lucky enough to acquire two of the old paintings. We have on printed canvas “Christ Ordaining the Twelve Apostles” and “Christ's Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem.”

Things have been going pretty well around here. We have been meeting a lot with our less actives and seen a few of our investigators, but it is often hard to meet with them because of their work schedule. Sunday was really good and we taught the 13-year-old class for Sunday School. And we taught and talked to a man, who is not a member but knows all of the church and has a testimony of everything for third hour. It is a long and confusing story. The members are still amazing and the ward is doing great. The less actives in the ward are really opening up and some are starting to come to Church again more or less. It is amazing to see the miracles happening to the people here.

Today was our Zone Activity. It was a Country Fair theme. We were divided into teams and then had a bunch of small competitions. Whichever team won the most competitions overall got to throw whipped cream pies at the Zone Leaders. The activities included bobbing for apples, barrel races, sack races, three-legged races, donut on a string, etc.

Everything is going absolutely great here in Washington, DC North. Last Monday's weather was a little weird. It snowed, then rained, and then we had freezing rain. It snowed a little on Sunday and we have a very small layer of snow covering everything.

We went sledding near our apartment on 1-21-2014 - L to R: Elder ?; Elder Anderson; Elder Braden Dahl

Snow, Rain, Freezing Rain on 2-5-2014
Thank you in advance for the Valentine's Day package.

Love,
Elder Braden Dahl

Live Questions and Answers as we emailed back & forth…Mom...Braden

Where did you and your companion get your flannel shirts? The ones you were making tamales in?

They are my companions. He received a lot of them from a guy throughout his mission and he let me borrow one.

I hope to see you and your companion singing in the next Night of Music at the Temple Visitor's Center.  I've watched pretty much all the videos.  The Mission President's wife posted a few and one of the Sister Missionaries posted some, too.

We have not been in Night of Music and Inspiration yet, but next Sunday we are in a choir number, "Why I Believe."

I know you weren't in the last one...I was super impressed with the Elder’s piano playing. Hope someone videos the group and posts it...put the iPads to good use!

That Elder doesn't think he's good at the piano because he only really knows chords,
which means he can technically play anything. But he is really good at the piano. He came up with that arrangement of chords and the other Elder came up with a rap to it.

And don't worry I am 100% sure that someone will video the choral piece next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment